Brandywine prides itself on providing quality care for seniors and allowing them to reside close to their family, while remaining in the community they love. As part of Brandywine’s commitment to earn LEED certification, they implemented a range of environmentally conscious construction and landscaping measures to reduce environmental impact.
“Brandywine recognizes the importance in developing communities of enduring value,” said Brandywine Living CEO and President, Brenda Bacon. “We are proud to not only provide the best in care to our residents, but also allow them to live and grow within a sustainable environment.
Certification of the project was based on green design and construction features that include the following:
- Optimizing energy performance: To reduce energy, high efficiency heating, ventilating and air conditioning systems are used throughout the community as well as energy efficient lighting.
- Maximize open space: To promote biodiversity, the community provides plentiful outdoor green space with a variety of plantings.
- Views: To provide residents and family members a connection to the outdoors, this community offers an abundant amount of exterior views.
- Public transportation access: Brandywine recognizes the importance of reducing pollution from automobile use. This community allows for families and staff to visit by way of accessible local public transportation.
- Construction Waste Management: To divert waste from the landfill, over ninety-five percent of the construction waste was recycled.
Meyer Design, Inc. led the project architect of the Livingston community.
The Livingston community marks the fourth LEED Silver certification achieved by Brandywine Living. Previously awarded communities include Mahwah, NJ, Voorhees, NJ, and Upper Providence, PA.
“This LEED certification demonstrates Brandywine Living’s commitment to provide high quality, comfortable and healthy living environments for their residents.” said Scott Kelly, Co-Founder and Principal of Re: Vision Architecture whose firm served as High Performance Building Consultants for the project.
About Brandywine Living
Brandywine Living is a market leader in luxury senior living, including assisted living, memory care and independent living. Founded in 1996, the addition of the Potomac location expands the Brandywine portfolio to 30 communities in seven states (PA, NJ, NY, CT, DE, VA & MD) with the capacity to serve over 3,000 residents.